Be the Consumer of Data, NOT Consumed by Data
By Kat Rutledge, Content Marketing Specialis, Astute Solutions
My daily routine is interspersed with information ranging from Pandora commercials, radio on the way into work, my LinkedIn newsfeed, my Twitter feed, nytimes.com, emails, Facebook updates, viral trends, The Huffington Post, and many more streams of information. This is just the tip of the iceberg in the amount of data that grazes past my eyes and through my mind on a daily basis.
We live in a world where data must be consumed effectively and efficiently or the data will consume you. You’re always at risk of being swallowed whole or lost in data. This is especially important to take heed of in the B2C world. Getting lost in data or not receiving the important data can cost you thousands of dollars as you will see in the infographic below.
Infographic by Nicolas DAlleva, Specialty Answering Service Group
So how do you manage these massive waves of data?
There are now many big data solutions emerging out of sheer demand. These solutions make storage of data affordable with endless cloud space, but simply being a data hoarder will get you nowhere. You have to be organized.
Think of a library. There are massive amounts of information, but it’s organized. There are sections for genres, age groups, and various media. Then each section is organize alphabetically and numerically making it easy for any library goer to find the exact book they are looking for. You should expect the same extensive organization from a big data solution.
Key features and capabilities you will want to consider when looking for a solution include:
- Analysis capabilities – How does your solution analyze the data? Through keywords or through use of a Natural Language Processor.
- Storage space – Is the data storage space limited or limitless? Are you being charged a flat rate for storage or are there upcharges according to space needed?
- Usability – Is your solution user friendly for your employees?
- Timing – Does your solution deliver real-time capabilities?
- Scalability – Can you view visuals of large amounts of data with the capability to drill down into charts to uncover more specific analytics?
How do you consume Data without data consuming you?
If you enjoyed this article, check out our best practices guide: Holistic Social Relationships.